I’ve got a pile of things to do still before Burning Man, including both hardware and software. Tonight I wanted to get three things done:
- Update my old PointCollector program to have “snap to grid”
- Create the point map for the trench so I can start rendering animations
- Determine all the physical locations of the power taps I need to wire into the suit
PointCollector’s job is to create a file that describes the (X, Y) locations of all the LEDs in their own coordinate space. This lets me use them like pixels in a big video display. Also it describes the order of the LEDs which is just as important as their locations.
As a reminder, here’s the final layout schematic of the LEDs in the trench. This updated image shows all the through-holes I had to cut in the suit, as well as the locations of all the places where strands of 50 LEDs hook together. Half those spots are marked with a ■ yellow square, which means there’s no power there, and the other half marked with a ■ purple square, which means I have to feed extra power into the strand at that point.
For my sanity, I’ve sort of spread out the arms so I can see the serpentine path easier. But when you look at the actual photographs of the suit (such as those in my last post), you’ll see that really, the arms are a sort of visual continuation of the torso. As a projection surface, I want the suit to act more like a huge cylinder of LEDs, with the arms as integral parts of that. To create that effect, I made a synthetic rendering of the LEDs that tries to smash them together so the front and back of the suit become more or less one big rectangle, an unrolled cylinder.
In this mage, the yellow squares represent LEDs that art part of the arms. You can see the (X, Y) coordinates of every LED in the list to the left. That list also indicates the order of the LEDs. Now I can use my Animaker program to re-render all the Anthrolume 3.0 animations for the trenchcoat, and see how they look. That’s a task for later in the week.
Next up is wiring those power taps that I identified in the first image. Wiring those to a central power source will allow me to run the entire 1,000-LED trench for a full system test. I’ll definitely post a video of that once it’s working.