The time has come for Anthrolume 4.0 to make its way to Nevada for Burning Man. Before sending it out I did a bunch of last-minute work.
Over the last couple months I prepared 329 animations. The process of creating the animations happens in a Flash animation program and in my Animaker software, where I can see a sort of schematic preview of what the sampled animation will look like. Reality, however, can be pretty different. I run the trench at 6-bits/channel color resolution. That means that each of the red, green, and blue LEDs that are inside the 1,000 points on the trench have 64 levels of brightness for a total of 262,144 possible colors.This bit-reduction is primarily done to dim the trench so it doesn’t use so much power. Theoretically it is 1/4 as much power as I’d use with full 8-bit resolution. On top of that, the LEDs in the trench have very non-linear brightness over that 0-63 range. I correct for that using a gamma table that I apply at playback time in the trench. Between those two factors, sometimes it can be difficult to know what an animation will look like on the actual trenchcoat. As a final quality-control step, I reviewed all 329 animations from a distance, positioning the trench by a window so that I could see both the front and back of the coat.
I rated every animation on a scale of 1 to 5 (with resolution 0.5), and decided to cut any animation rated 2.0 or less. That resulted in the removal of 79 animations. But, I’m left with ones that I genuinely like. I will probably make more between now and Saturday too.
After I finished my audit, I boxed up the trench and the rest of the costume, the batteries, computer belt, and charge tree into one big 40lb box, and a bunch of tools and parts into another smaller 12lb box. I took them down to Tacoma today, where they’ll be driven to Burning Man by one of my intrepid campmates.
If you’re going to Burning Man, look for me. I won’t be hard to find.